10.03.2005

Laptops for Malawi?

When I went to Malawi, I left behind a few crank powered flashlights. They were designed to work without batteries and for one minute of cranking put out 45 minutes of bright light. Crank powered devices are ideal for the world's poor since access to power is often limited and batteries can be prohibitively expensive. Now MIT has developed a sub-one hundred dollar notebook computer that incorporates handcranks for power.
There is so much that could be done with these computers. Every school in the world could be outfitted with at least one computer for a relatively minimal cost. If anyone is interested in brainstorming ways to get these devices to Malawi, let me know in the comment section. I am willing to start something.

3 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

after we find a way to provide more maize...

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please let me have one even at a price so that I can start sensitizing people here on its advantages. I am a secretary by profession and intends to go into an internet cafe business when I retire soon. Ps reply to mkanchiputu@yahoo.com

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am taking a group of relief workers to Malawi in July of 2006. Among other things we plan to provide villages outside Lilongwe with water filter systems and repair water lines, work in the Hope For A Hopeless Child orphanage and provide clothing to the orphans in Ngoma and Kauma. If we cam help in any way to get these lap tops over there, (perhaps each team member could carry one to eliminate shipping costs) please let us know, we would be happy to help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogwise - blog directory